BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 18, 2010

So Angry!

In January my friend Debbie made me aware of the fact that our 171H (permission to bring an orphan into the U.S.A.) was wrong. The reason being is that on our home study it said that we were wanting to adopt children 0-6 months at referral, well then DCFS approved us for 0-6 months at referral, which in turn made USCIS approve us on our 171H to be able to bring children 0-6 months in to the U.S. Which means that our children could not be older than 6 months when we brought them home. Well anyone who has adopted, our social worker has, knows that in International Adoption most children come home older than 6 months. When this came to our attention our dossier was already in Ethiopia so I called our placement agency director and he told me to get it fixed ASAP but that it would not affect our paperwork in country, we just needed to have it fixed before we had our embassy appt. Easy peasy since our dossier had only been in country for a couple of weeks and we were expecting to wait 4-6 months just for our referral. So I called our social worker and asked him if he could get our home study changed to say we were approved for children up to 14 months old and he said he would do that no problem. Well a month goes by and I haven't heard anything from our S.W. and when I called to see how things were going with the change he had no idea what I was even talking about. Oh great! So I explained it again and he said he would take care of it. A month later we get our referral and I call him to let him know. I then find out that he still had not changed anything in our h.s. He said that it was no big deal and that with us now having a referral it would be a lot easier to get done. See in Illinois DCFS has to approve not only your h.s. but also your referral. So he was going to send our updated h.s. along with our referral to DCFS and we should be good to go. Matt called our S.W. in April asking if everything had been sent off to DCFS and he acted like he wasn't sure what he was talking about but he would look into it. When he got back to Matt he told him that DCFS had not seen our paperwork yet and that they were really backed up, but don't get worried we still had plenty of time to get it fixed. Then about a month ago our S.W. called saying that DCFS had lost our paperwork and that he, our S.W., could no longer bring up our referral information that I had sent him. SERIOUSLY!! Then on Tuesday I get an email from him that I wasn't sure about so I called him only to find out that DCFS needed an update of our CANTS report, basically saying we are not child abusers, and that they couldn't do anything until they got that. So that was two weeks right there that we thought DCFS was processing our paperwork and come to find out they weren't, but he never even told us. Did I mention that we HAVE to have this paperwork fixed before we go and pick our children up hopefully the second week of August. I know that every thing will work out it is just very frustrating to think that we paid good money to have this stuff done correctly and it wasn't. I guess if we decide to this again we will know better.

0 comments: